Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Adriene Jenik: Practice

I have always conceived of my work in relation to a public. Like epoxy that only forms its bonding substance once two substances are combined, much of my work only comes to life once it is enacted within the public sphere. My art is meant to serve as a catalyst for discussion and debate and I try and make work that can involve and engage the very young and very old as well as the many of us in between. Often the work is located within a public space and arrives unannounced, having to negotiate those people in that space on their terms (or fail). Much of the work is multi-lingual and offers multiple points of entry. Much of it is live. Free and Open to the Public is a recurring tagline. Utilizing "high-technology" as subject matter, medium and distribution mechanism at once, I hope to inspire new types of exchange that help question the social seductions and cultural impact of these very tools.

The production process is completely iterative; I make a show in public, evaluate the project in relation to its ability to activate this public, and then do another version, or project.

I'm interested in understanding this iterative research method much more deeply, and developing methods of observation and analysis to assist in creating work that has significant impact and can be scaled in various ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment